These yeast free spelt flour and yogurt based cinnamon buns are incredibly delicious. They are soft and doughy, sweetened with a cinnamon brown sugar filling and glazed with a vanilla icing. To make them extra special, @peachypalate has added in Linwoods Milled Chia Seeds into the dough mixture for some Omega 3 and fibre.
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
Servings – 6
For the dough
- 260g plain spelt flour + a little for dusting
- 1 tbsp Linwoods Milled Chia Seed
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 250g plain natural unsweetened yogurt (not Greek yogurt)
- 3 tbsp butter of choice, melted
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar of choice
For the filling
- 60g soft brown sugar
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter of choice, melted
For the icing
- 100g icing sugar or powdered stevia/erythritol
- 4 – 6 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together flour, milled chia seed, and baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the yogurt, melted butter and sugar and mix to form a soft dough.
- Dump out onto a flour surface. Dust your hands with flour and knead for just a minute or two to create a soft slightly sticky dough. Place into an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rest for at least an hour or you can leave it there for a few hours.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Grease two sheets of parchment paper with spray oil or coconut oil or butter.
- Place the dough between the pieces of parchment paper and roll out using a rolling pin to form a large rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Lift off the top piece of parchment paper and brush the dough with the melted butter. Scatter over the cinnamon sugar.
- Roll the dough, longest side in, and then slice into 6 pieces. Place into a greased oven safe dish lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Whisk together icing ingredients in a bowl and pour or drizzle over cinnamon rolls.
- Serve immediately; however they can be reheated in the oven or microwave. Best eaten within a couple of days.