S’mores are one of the best summer desserts but this recipe has made this popular treat even better with vegan ingredients and homemade healthy graham crackers which contain flaxseed for some fibre, protein and Omega 3!
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
Servings – 10 -12 large s’mores
For the Graham Crackers
- 130g plain flour
- 100g wholewheat flour
- 2 tbsp Linwoods milled flaxseed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 70g coconut sugar
- 80g coconut oil, melted or vegan friendly butter
- 3 tbsp water
For the S’mores
- 10 -12 large vegan friendly marshmallows
- 10 -12 squares of you favourite dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flours, flaxseed, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil or butter and water in a jug. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a dough. Set to one side for about 10 minutes.
- Roll dough out between two pieces of parchment paper. You want it to be about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out squares free hand or using a cutter.
- Reroll dough to use any scrapes.
- Place crackers on a baking paper lined tray. Be careful when lifting them. They might seem a little delicate but will crispen up beautifully when baked.
- Make some hole indents in each cracker using a fork and then bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the tray.
- To make the s’mores, place a marshmallow on a cracker and then either grill or microwave until the marshmallow puffs up; just a couple of minutes under a grill and about 15 seconds in the microwave!
- Place a square of chocolate on top which will melt on top of the heat of the marshmallow or you can give it a little 5 second more time in the microwave!
- Place a graham cracker on top and tuck in. Warning, these are always messy to eat, it’s part of the fun.