Winter warmer soup with chia bread
Recipe by Joyce Dougherty
- For the soup:
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 120g red lentils
- 2 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds, toasted
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, puréed
- 1 small bunch of basil, torn
- Salt and black pepper
- For the bread:
- 250g coarse wholemeal flour
- 60g plain flour
- ½ tsp bread soda
- ½ tsp porridge oats
- ½ tsp salt
- 60g Linwoods Milled Organic Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds
- 30g Linwoods Milled Organic Chia Seeds
- 300ml buttermilk
- ½ tsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp golden syrup
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a large saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions and lentils. Cook for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the vegetable stock, stir everything together and bring to the boil.
- Add the tomatoes and caraway seeds. Cook for 20 minutes on a low simmer.
- Remove from the heat and add the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock.
- When the soup is cooked, preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and grease a baking tray.
- Sieve the flours, bread soda, oats and salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the seeds (reserving some to decorate), buttermilk, melted butter and golden syrup. Gently mix, then knead together into a dough.
- Turn the mixture out onto a floured surface, sprinkle the top with the remaining seeds and mark a grid in the dough with the knife.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Tip out on a wire tray and leave to cool, then serve with the warmed soup.