Vital Nutrition- simple ways to add seeds to your diet
Health has never been more important and we are encouraging you to support your immune system and ‘Take Extra Special Care’ this winter. Nutritional Therapist Jane McClenaghan (www.vital-nutrition.co.uk) has some great tips on how you can include our three immunity supporting seeds to your diet.
Hemp is one of my favourites.
This one has a lovely nutty taste. It can be used simply as a breakfast topper, added into smoothies or sprinkled on salad. It is especially good if you add some toasted cumin seeds and chilli flakes for a spicy kick.
A 20g serving of hemp seed will give you 33% of your RDA for magnesium and 3mg iron. It is also a good source of omega 3 and one of the few complete protein foods found in the plant world. Therefore, it is an excellent addition to a vegan or vegetarian diet.
Shelled Hemp (200g)£ 6.49
Adding a 20g serving of this mix to your daily diet will provide 18% of your RDA for magnesium and 33% of your RDA for selenium. Both of these essential minerals are sadly lacking in our modern diet, so anything we can do to help improve our intake has to good.
The co-enzyme Q10 in this product provides us with an enzyme that works as an antioxidant and helps support healthy metabolism. Although coQ10 occurs naturally in the body, it declines with age, making dietary sources important in helping maintain adequate levels.
With its energising ingredients, this is lovely to incorporate into a mid-afternoon snack. Try adding to your favourite flapjack recipe, making your own energy balls, or simple add to yoghurt and fruit.
Living in the UK and Ireland, most of us are at risk of low vitamin D levels, so it is recommended that we supplement vitamin D3 between October and May.
This product provides 100% of our RDA for vitamin D in a 20g serving, and is packed with probiotic cultures that may help support healthy digestion and immune health.
I love adding this one to breakfast – atop porridge or low sugar granola, or sprinkled on omelettes, as it contains the sunshine vitamin D3.
Ten simple ways to add seeds to your diet:
- A good start to your day as a breakfast topper for porridge, muesli or granola.
- Add to your baking to max up your nutrition.
- Sprinkle onto salads (shelled hemp is my favourite for this one)
- Add a scoop to smoothies for an extra nutrient hit
- Mix 1tblsp flaxseed with 2 tbsp water as an egg replacer for vegan recipes.
- Scatter a spoonful over your favourite soups to add some protein to help fill you up.
- Make flaxseed crackers
- Add to your favourite houmous recipe – here’s my Super Food Houmous recipe for you to try.
- Stir into mayonnaise or mustard for a nutritious spread
- Add a little to curries, chillis and casseroles just before serving for an added nutrient hit.
Check out blog post Immune Supporting Recipes for some extra inspiration on how you can add seeds to your diet!