Smoothies are one of the easiest ways to add a mixture of gut-friendly and high fibre foods to your morning. This Green Digestion Smoothie combines the power of many digestion-friendly ingredients to get your day off to an energetic start:
- Milled Flaxseed: High in fibre, containing 5g of fibre per 20g serving. Linwoods Flaxseed is also cold milled making the seed easier to consume and digest.
- Pineapple: From being a rich source of fibre, pineapple may help support a healthy digestive system (1). Pineapples are also rich in a group of digestive enzymes known as bromelain, which break down protein molecules so they can be easily absorbed into the small intestine (2).
- Bananas: Have a soothing effect on the gut thanks to their high content of pectin, a soluble fibre which helps lower cholesterol and normalises bowel function (3).
- Water: Encourages the passage of waste through your digestive system and helps soften poo (4).
- Coconut Water: Helps the kidneys to filter and eliminate toxins from your body (5).
- Parsley Leaves: Can help aid in digestion and reduce bloating as it contains compounds that enable the expulsion of gas from the body (6).
- Avocado: The high fibre content of avocados leads to feelings of fullness which helps to regulate appetite (7).
- Ginger: Has a long reputation as a carminative, a substance that promotes the elimination of excess gas from the digestive system, and is known to sooth the intestinal tract (8).
Green Digestion Smoothie
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Servings – 1 – 2
- 1 heaping cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 large frozen banana
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut water
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons avocado
- 1 teaspoon packed fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbsp Linwoods Cold Milled Flaxseed
- Blend together all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and top with a little more milled flaxseed.