A delightful and crumbly Mixed Berry Cobbler that will give you an early taste of summer. Juicy sweet berries with a buttery biscuit topping made entirely with vegan ingredients in just a few simple steps. For an extra sweetness, be sure to top it with ice cream!
(Tip: For those following a vegan diet, mixing Milled Flaxseed and water is a great egg substitute, and it also provides some extra vitamins and minerals)
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 – 35 minutes
Servings – 6
For the Base
- 800g frozen mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries and raspberries)
- 60g coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp (20g) cornstarch + 3 tbsp water
For the Topping
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 100g plain flour
- 80g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 60g vegan butter, cold and finely diced
- 60ml cold non dairy milk of choice
- 50g coconut sugar
- Add berries to a pot over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and then simmer for five minutes to break down the berries a little and allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and quickly mix to prevent clumping. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, blitz together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground almonds and butter in a food processor to combine.
- Add the cold milk, flax “eggs” and sugar and blitz to combine. Divide the dough into 6 – 8 patties.
- Place the berry mixture into an oven safe dish. Place cobbler topping on top, and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Until golden and the berries are bubbling. Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.