The ingredients you will need to make your Linwoods dahl dish:
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 200g Chopped tomatoes
- 300g Yellow split peas (chick peas can be used as alternative)
- 4cm Fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 dsp Linwoods Milled Chia Seed
- 700ml Vegetable stock
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 10 Freeze dried curry leaves
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Garlic cloves (1 crushed, 1 slice – garlic paste can be used as an alternative)
- 1 Green chilli, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable / sunflower oil
This dish will feed 4 – 6 people. For best results, we recommend cooking the dahl in a slow cooker where it will take 4 hours to cook. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can cook it in a large saucepan as you would any other soup, stew or curry. Cook on a low – medium heat for 60 – 90 minutes.
1. Start to cook your ingredients:
The first thing you need to do is start to cook your ingredients in a slow cooker or large saucepan. Add the chopped onions and tomatoes, ginger, cumin (leave some seeds aside for garnish at end), turmeric, garlic and curry leaves to your pan. Add your split peas to this mix also and gently start cooking for a few minutes.
2. Add your vegetable stock:
To make your vegetable stock, simply add a vegetable stock cube to 700ml of boiling water until it has been combined, and add this to the ingredients in your pan. Mix the ingredients into the stock and add most of your sliced chilli. Stir all this together and leave to cook until the peas are tender.
3. Add Linwoods Milled Chia Seed:
Once your dahl has been cooked through, and the stock has thickened, add 2 dessertspoons of Linwoods Milled Chia Seed and stir. Chia is a great source of protein and fibre, as well as providing your body with iron, calcium and omega 3, all of which help you to support a healthy and balanced diet.
4. Serve and enjoy:
Finally, it’s time for you to serve up this tasty dahl and enjoy. Heat a small saucepan with oil and fry the sliced garlic and remaining cumin seeds until golden. Spoon this over the dahl and add some chopped chilli or peppers at the end to garnish.
Additional serving suggestions:
- Enjoy with a tasty flatbread or try out our scrumptious nutty bread with milled flaxseed, nuts and CO-Q10.
- Garnish with some flaked almonds for an additional texture.
Have you tried out our delicious dahl recipe? Let us know how you got on by commenting below or sharing your photos with us on Facebook and Twitter.