These Chocolate Easter Cupcakes are delicious, luscious and plant-based! This recipe includes our Milled Flaxseed for an addition of Fibre, Protein and Omega 3 fatty acids. Topped with homemade little mini eggs which instantly make them fun and colourful with a lovely crispy texture!
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
Servings – 15 – 16 cupcakes
- 210g plain flour, white spelt flour, or gluten free alternative*
- 60g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Linwoods Milled Flaxseed
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 200g caster sugar
- 200ml unsweetened oat or almond milk
- 180ml hot water or coffee
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 100ml light olive oil or rapeseed oil**
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g firm plant based butter alternative, at room temperature
- 360g icing sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2 -4 tbsp oat or almond milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp each of matcha powder, beet powder and ground turmeric
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Whisk in the milled flaxseed.
- In a separate bowl or jug whisk together the oil, milk, apple cider vinegar, hot water or coffee and vanilla extract.
- Add wet to dry and whisk to combine; do not overmix, once it’s just combined it’s good to go!
- Line your muffin / cupcake tray with paper liners.
- Fill liners ⅔ of the way with the batter.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Beat together the vegan butter, cocoa powder, icing sugar, vanilla and 2 tbsp of almond or oat milk. Add a little more milk if necessary to create a thick, smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Mix together the ground almonds, vanilla extract, and maple syrup for the mini eggs in a bowl.
- Divide the mixture into three, and mix each one with ½ a tsp of natural colouring… either matcha, turmeric or beet powder. Use your hands to knead the powder into the almond dough to create a uniform colour. Divide colourful doughs into little mini egg shapes,
- Pipe buttercream frosting onto the cooled cupcakes, top with mini eggs and sprinkle with some chocolate sprinkles if desired.
- Store cupcakes in the fridge for up to three days. Allow to come to room temperature to serve.
*Make sure to use a gluten free flour blend. These won’t work if you just replace the plain flour with all rice flour or buckwheat for example.
**By light I mean light tasting, a refined more neutral tasting oil.