What is the Chia Seed?
Chia seed comes from the mint family and are native to the Central American countries of Mexico and Guatemala. The Chia plant can grow quickly in a number of days but the real power of the plant comes in their seed. The Chia seed was a major part of the staple diet of the ancient Aztec nation in South America for hundreds of years and it is only in recent years that the real health benefit of these super seeds have been discovered.
What are the benefits of Chia seed?
The Chia seed is packed full of great benefits for your body and it is this nutritional value of the seed that has made this flower so popular. The benefits you can expect to get from the Chia seed include:
- Healthy Heart: The Chia seed helps support a healthy heart by maintaining normal blood cholesterol levels.
- Healthy Teeth and Bones: The seed also helps you to maintain healthy teeth and bones as it is a high source of magnesium.
- High Fibre: The high fibre content of Chia seeds makes them a popular choice among athletes as they can be great for your energy metabolism. They have even been dubbed “the running food” by some athletes.
- Muscle Development: Chia seeds are also a great source of protein which can aid in muscle development, another reason why they are becoming increasingly popular among athletes.
- High in Omega 3: Chia seeds are high in Omega 3 fatty acids which are great for the brain and also a great way to maintain a healthy blood cholesterol level and strong joints.
- Gluten Free: With no added sugar and gluten free, Chia seeds are a nutritious addition to a balanced diet.
- Provide Essential Vitamins: Chia seeds also provide your body with many essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
It’s Ch-Ch-Chia for the sports world
The high source of protein and dietary fibre provided in Chia seeds has quickly made them a popular choice among athletes and sports enthusiasts. They have become an ideal food supplement for sports people due to the sustained energy release they can provide. The Chia seed also prolongs hydration and is just another reason why they are growing in popularity with distance runners in particular. If you simply want a bit of a health boost and some added nutrition in your diet then Chia seeds are a great place to start.
The Chia seed has a mild flavour and a texture that is similar to that of a poppy seed. They are also easily digested as they are cold milled to help aid quick and easy absorption into your body. This allows you to feel the immediate nutritional value of the seeds in your diet, immediately.
How to eat Chia seeds
Chia seeds can help add some flavour and texture to a meal and can be a great addition to almost any meal. Here are just some ways to add Chia seed to your diet:
- Breakfast Smoothie: For that extra boost of protein and to help you in the morning add some Milled Chia Seed to your morning smoothie. Mix with berries, bananas and yoghurts and blend together for a great taste. You can add Chia to this smoothie recipe.
- Granola: For even more texture, mix with oats and nuts to make your own granola.
- Home-made Bread: Mix with flower, milk and water to make your own multi-grain bread. To get started, follow our simple multi-grain bread recipe.
- Salad: Sprinkle Chia seed over the top of a fruit or vegetable salad for that extra goodness and added texture.
- Soup: You can also add Chia seeds to a soup or sauce to help thicken them and also enhance the flavour and goodness of your soup.
For more information on the benefits of Chia seeds, be sure to visit our product page and see how you can start enjoying this wonderful seed. Experiment in the kitchen with the seeds and share with favourite recipes on our customer recipe page.
You can also connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest to share your Chia Seed creations and follow the creations of other Linwoods Chia Seeds fans by searching #LinwoodsChia.